Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Living the Real Simple Life

Figuring our girls needed protection from the wild, chicken-eating Texas animals, we picked up a ROOSTER at the feed store.

We've named him Reggie. 

Reggie is a peculiar guy.  Awfully gentle and kind.  So kind that his fellow roosters, at his last house, ruffed him up.

But Reggie is safe with us.  He now spends his days "protecting" his chicks and enjoying the affection of a certain toddler.







Having chickens is just the start. 
You see, we Foys dream of being self-sufficient. Like, truly self-sufficient. 
I long for days spent in the garden bringing forth that day's meal. 
I want a simple life, void of packages, plastic and cardboard. 
I know it won't happen over night. We're still learning how to do things (remember we're just city kids with country hearts).

This video clip kills me.  This is how we wanna live. This is what I want to do all day, everyday (seriously).

4 comments:

  1. I just watched all 8 minutes of that! Love it! I would love that--I am ready for chickens! :) Reggie is a studly rooster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx Natalie! Isn't that a great video. I remember having grape juice from the grapes at the Shaw home. That's what I'm talkin' about ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have to watch the documentary The No Impact Man (if you haven't already), it was so inspiring and amazing to watch this family little by little become completely self sufficient. I can't wait to read more about your process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dena- I'm gonna check that documentary out...haven't seen it yet. I love those kinda flicks ;)

    ReplyDelete