Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Vegan can be good

I have given vegan cooking a go. So far, baking has been more successful than cooking. We have enjoyed some yummy pumpkin bread, banana bread and peanut butter cookies. But, the grossest thing I have ever tasted was a version of cheeseburger macaroni. I should have known, it had tumeric, yeast and soy in it. It smelled terrible and tasted even worse! To top it off, the night I made that meal David and I were supposed to go to the Morrissey concert and we decided not to go because the weather was so bad in Vegas that we were afraid of crashing and dieing and leaving our kids homeless. So I was pretty bumbed that night. So we left the kids at home with Gigi and went out to dinner. Oh, I tried a vitamin B12 patch this week. It's the same concentration as the shot, which gives you energy and mental clarity, but costs less. I think I feel better.

Here is the recipe for Super Moist Pumpkin Bread. I'm sharing because I don't want to be a recipe nazi, no one likes that. I don't put walnuts or coconut flakes in it, instead I use vegan chocolate chips (choc. chips without any milk or butter derivitive, I like the walmart brand chip).

1 cup chopped walnuts

3 1/2 cups flour

2 cups dark brown sugar

2/3 cup white sugar

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

2 cups pumpkin puree

1 cup vegetable oil

2/3 cup coconut milk

2/3 cup flaked coconut



Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour two 8" X 4" loaf pans. Spread walnuts in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Toast in the oven for 8 - 10 minutes until lightly browned. Set aside. In a large bowl mix dry ingredients. Add the pumpkin puree, oil and coconut milk. Fold in the coconut flakes and walnuts. Divide evenly into pans. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from oven and cover with foil to allow to steam. Remove foil and let cool.

1 comment:

  1. Vegan can be good! I can add a testimonial to the pumpkn bread. Ours is long gone, it was deeelish! If vegan is that good sign me up! Good job Alisa!

    ReplyDelete