Pages

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Oma's 80th Birthday

My Oma is a German spitfire! She and my grandpa (Poppy) met during WWII in Germany. They were both just teenagers. My Poppy was an Army Soldier overseas in Germany and she was a farm girl who had just fled Czechoslovakia, with her family, to escape the Russians. The two met at a dance club and fell in love. The two made for an interesting couple, my Poppy was a quiet young Mexican fellow from Pomona and my Oma, Paula, a feisty German/Czech gal who didn't speak any English. The two got married on a snowy day in Germany and moved to Claremont, CA soon after. In 1949 my mom was born. Oma taught herself english quickly by taking classes at the community college and by watching soap operas. Later, she became a teacher at the community preschool where she worked for over 25 years.
My Oma is sharp and knows what she wants and will let you know if she isn't happy. I grew up swimming in her backyard where she manicured her beautiful flower gardens and fed me way too much. She always made us a birthday cake and knit blankets for me and my babies.
My Poppy passed away suddenly about 5 years ago after over 50 years of marriage. Since then, Oma has moved out of her home, where they lived for over 50 years, and into an apartment. She goes to Curves everyday and has lunch with her German girlfriends often. At 80 years old she is strong.

Happy Birthday Oma!


2 comments:

  1. Can you and your family get any cooler? I love Oma and I don't even know her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. grr i posted a huge long post and it is lost in cyperspace....

    you oma is darling...want her to adopt me
    love how cute you always are i want to go shopping with

    ReplyDelete