Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Proud Mama

We made a special trip out to California for my Oma's 80th birthday. We stayed in Newport Beach. To start our Saturday off we went to breakfast at the Rubys on the Huntington Pier.
It was pouring outside and the six of us crammed into a booth. Across from us was a couple with one baby. I, pridefully, said to David, "look how much stuff they have for just one kid." The couple had 2 large bags filled with stuff for the baby. I thought I was so cool because I figured I was a master mama and didn't need "stuff". Little did I know, hell was about to break loose!
We ordered all the kids their own kids meal and no one was eating. Emma June refused to eat because she had to poop (and won't let it out), Nathan kept getting up to walk around, Rachel was throwing everything on the ground and Sophia created a scene because she too had to go poop but, very publicly, refused to use the bathroom. She kept insisting that we go back to the hotel for her. David then looked at me and said something like, "sometimes parenting sucks."
So I got up and went to the bathroom with Sophia. While I was in the bathroom David pounded on the the door telling me "Rachel pooped everywhere!" Sure enough, she exploded! Diarrhea EVERYWHERE. It was all over her clothes, seeping through the high chair and puddling on the floor. All while people were trying to eat. This 'master mama' didn't have anything to clean up with. I didn't have wipes, diapers, or clean clothes with me. I had to wipe everything up with napkins, and tell the waitress that her high chair was out of commission. I threw Rachel over my shoulder and we carried our poopy baby down the pier in the pouring rain as the strong winds lifted my dress over my head.
Note to self, "Pride comes before the fall"

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't help but laugh--but that is probably because I do the exact same thing! I forget to take anything with me when we go out, and then disaster strikes. I think they need to get an app for teleportation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!! Amazing what motherhood does to us and I don't know the half of it! Good job handling the situation. Wow.

    ReplyDelete