Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cow Hunt

I've been neurotic about checking my email this morning. 
I'm awaiting a response from a breeder.
Good news will require a 5 hour drive and learning a new set of skills.

I've been on the hunt for a calf. But not just any calf...a Dexter calf.
Did you know that there are over 800 breeds of cattle recognized in the world today?
Each breed has its purpose. Some have better meat quality, some have better milk quality, some are more heat tolerant and others are easier on pasture.

I've grown attached to the Irish Dexters. This breed is also known as the mini cow. 

There are cows all around me. But Dexters are hard to come by. Their owners love them and aren't so keen on selling. Sure I could buy a Jersey at auction; they're practically giving them away. But Jerseys and Holsteins (the average dairy cow) become BIG cows. Honestly, they frighten me.
I've gotta be able to grab her tenders to get my milk.
So, I'll be patient for the girl I want (and am not afraid of).
If I don't get the response I'm hoping for then we'll keep visiting breeders.
At least we're meeting some fun people.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely think a field trip to your farm will be a must once baby dexter comes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dena-A field trip is in order!
    Alisa

    ReplyDelete