Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Livestock Auction

It's a whole new world out here y'all!


Every once in awhile I sing the Little Mermaid song, "It's a whole new world."

With that said...we are in the market for a dairy cow. 
I don't want the corporations' hand in my milk.
I want my family to be able to provide our own food.

I also really love livestock.  When I was little we went to the L.A. County fair in Los Angeles every year.  My favorite part was the livestock area. 
I've always had a tenderness for cows (that's one reason I don't eat them).

So begins our search for a dairy calf.  Here in cattle ranch country there are 2 ways to obtain cattle; from a breeder or from an auction.  Each small town has its own auction.  There are auctions going on a few nights a week and they sometimes last until the wee hours of the morning. 

We went to our first auction in Pittsburg, TX.  I was a bit flabbergasted of sorts.  Wow, the clientele was most unusual.  Where have these people been all my life. 
How have I gone all these years and not been in a room with such "interesting" people.  Heavenly Father forgive me.  I enjoyed every minute as each animal was marched across the auction block.  Everything from cows, goats, chickens, to boxes of dollar store packaged pastries.  Yup, nothing was exempt from being sold at this auction.
I relished in the amazement that was this new experience. 
With every heifer (female cow) the auctioneer said:
"look at dat purty heifer rait der". 
magic.


We walked away that evening wondering where we had landed.
Nathan asked us why it was so crusty in there. 

We gave another auction a try.
Next we went to the auction in our town, Winnsboro. 
I'm glad to announce to that it was a much better environment.  The room was filled with gentleman in large hats seriously participating in the orderly process. 
The auction was clean, organized and exciting. 

It so happens that during the auction my kids were being most ornery, especially Rachel (surprise).  I had to throw her on my hip and head down the steep stairs.
I fell.
I sent David a text. But, I added the wrong number to my cell phone.
So, an unfortunate stranger received this text message:
"Did u see me fall down the stairs? These damn kids".

Still haven't gotten my cow.

3 comments:

  1. Eeeep! So interesting!! Glad you're sharing all of these adventures! I can't wait to read more, and how you get your cow.

    Hope that fall wasn't too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fall hurt my pride more than anything!
    Alisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious!! I chuckled...

    ReplyDelete