Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Rain



We finally got some rain yesterday. Not enough. But we were grateful for the bit of respite from the heat.

The whole state of Texas is suffering from a drought.
Growing up in southern California we were always in a drought. But it meant nothing to me. Actually, I did feel guilty when leaving the hose water to run down the driveway.
Here in farm country drought is real and gravely effects everyone. My neighbors haven't been able to grow food for their animals. And around here, animals are income. For the last few weeks hay has been trucked in from Colorado, doubling the average price. Horses are being given away because they're too expensive to feed. At the livestock auction last week they were auctioning-off over 3,000 head of cattle.
My neighbor had to sell over 200 of their herd.
The ground is crispy under our feet. Throughout my pasture the earth has cracked open; begging for water.
We are thankful for an afternoon thunderstorm. But we need so much more.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for rain for you all! We were in a drought here, but, now we have flash flooding.
    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay-you're getting settled! It's been a long time since I've checked in, but know how excited I am for you all :-) I'll be living vicariously through you ;-) Here's to your new life!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete